+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sad story

Sad story

A driver trainer for Werner Enterprises has been stabbed to death by his trainee. Ronald Ruiz, a 62 year-old industry veteran of 20 years was assigned to train Stanley Polk. From the very beginning, Ruiz had a bad feeling about him.

“He just said this trainee was different than the other trainees,” said one of Ruiz’s four daughters according to ABC25. “That there was just something off about this guy. I don’t know what he was all about but he really wanted him off the truck.”

Ruiz had complained to Werner that Polk was uncooperative and would often drive recklessly, but Werner told him to keep driving and wait until they got back to the Indianapolis terminal. Before they got there however, Polk attacked Ruiz at a rest stop, stabbing him multiple times in the chest and abdomen.

Polk then fled the scene sparking a massive manhunt that ended early the next morning when someone who had watched the local news reports recognized Polk’s description and called the police.

After the attack Ruiz was aided by other truckers at the rest area and then airlifted to a local hospital where he succumbed to his wounds.

According to his family, this was to be Ruiz’s last trainee. His granddaughter had just earned her CDL and Ruiz was planning to drive with her until his retirement in 2017.

Polk is being held on a $1 million bond and has been charged with first-degree murder.

“To know that my dad died alone in horror and alone is just,” another of Ruiz’s daughters said. “I hope, I hope that this man gets the maximum sentence because he could have walked away.”

My Hart goes out to the family.

Werner should have listened to the driver trainer. I feel bad for the family.

That is such a tragedy. I feel like the company could have avoided it if they just listen to the driver. However Ruiz tried his best to explain that it could be a dangerous situation but the company must have felt it was just a discomfort and not a safety concern. Such a terrible tragedy.

+ Reply to Thread