PDA

View Full Version : It's your licence

Roadhog
08-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Hi as an experienced driver with almost 30 years under my belt there are many things that a new driver must know . When I was a driving instructor in San Bernardino California the first thing I used to tell the new guys was to take out the license and look at it . And I would tell them that license does not say swift or JB Hunt or crest or England or any other trucking company it has your name . If something bad happens these companies are not going to protect you it is your job and your responsibility to protect that license it is your livelihood . Trust me they will throw you out like yesterday's garbage in a heartbeat . Remember they may be the owner of that vessel but you are the captain

Black Knight
08-19-2015, 02:53 AM
Well Road, you are so right. They will push as hard as they can to see how far they can push you. Its your career, not theirs. My daughter drives for a company, who shall be nameless, and they wanted her to exceed her 11 hours drive time in order to make a delivery. I told her the same, it was her license and she has to decide what is best for her. Well she told them she was not going to do it, and they backed off. You have to stand up for yourself, or they will walk all over you.

Bumpy
08-19-2015, 09:22 AM
I work for a good company, best I've found in 10 years, but with that being said, dispatchers sometimes "suggest" to run over hours to make delivery a day early. Hmm...If something happens, no matter how serious, they will deny any knowledge of me doing this, and my ass is left to fend for itself. What does this then make me? Why, a fool of course.

Of course being "company" dispatch can play favorites however, I look at it this way: Trucking companies need "us", perhaps more than we need them. In other words, I can have a new job next week if I want. Bumpy don't play that. And I wonder, why am I referring to myself in the 3rd person? Interesting.:cool:

Fifth Wheel
08-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Hi as an experienced driver with almost 30 years under my belt there are many things that a new driver must know . When I was a driving instructor in San Bernardino California the first thing I used to tell the new guys was to take out the license and look at it . And I would tell them that license does not say swift or JB Hunt or crest or England or any other trucking company it has your name . If something bad happens these companies are not going to protect you it is your job and your responsibility to protect that license it is your livelihood . Trust me they will throw you out like yesterday's garbage in a heartbeat . Remember they may be the owner of that vessel but you are the captain

Golden advice.

Trucking companies will try to take advantage of your good nature and hard work, but it's up to you to remember that they:
1. Can't REQUIRE you to do anything illegal
2. Don't make the DOT rules, nor are they able to work around them

It's your license. Don't let a company bully you into doing something you will regret for a long time to come.

That being said, please share the road, dont hog it ;)

Lori
09-04-2015, 10:29 AM
The ideal position to be in is to be an owner operator; better yet, have your own authority; and not have to deal with the nonsense that goes along with being associated with known carriers. You have to keep in mind, their all the same; they fill positions within the company with no driving experience; example of this is would be in the safety department of a well known carrier that I refuse to mention has a woman safety's manager, who conducts a safety's call giving advice on scenarios behind a wheel of a semi. If that is not ludicrous enough, I don't know what is. Driving behind a wheel of a semi is not the same as driving a passenger vehicle; it doesn't even come close. The next time your driving beside a semi; just think for all you know they could have just got their CDL.